Encourage Covington to #ShopSmall on Small Business Saturday!
Small Business Saturday is right around the corner on November 24th — and with a little
preparation and a lot of enthusiasm, you and your business can make the most of it!
In 2010, American Express launched Small Business Saturday as a way to support
independently owned small businesses by celebrating a new holiday shopping tradition.
As customers have increasingly embraced the idea of “spending with intention,” the
movement has grown substantially — an estimated 112 million customers spent $15.4
billion dollars on Small Business Saturday in 2016.
Need some help getting ready? Here are a few ideas!
1. Share Small Business Saturday with your customers and start building momentum
early — help them understand the connection between spending at local shops and
keeping local shops around.
2. Partner with community organizations and other small businesses to spread the word
via local media, social media, etc.
3. Promote Small Business Saturday via social media and in your email marketing. Use
appropriate hashtags in your posts (#ShopSmall #SmallBusinessSaturday).
4. Do something special. Whether it’s hosting an event (think: food!), offering a special
flash-sale discount, or unveiling a new product or service, give customers an urgent,
limited-time reason to visit you on Small Business Saturday.
5. Good news: marketing materials have already been created for you! Visit Small
Business Saturday to find a wide variety of customizable print and online materials to
boost awareness and participation at your business.
6. When it’s done right, Small Business Saturday will drive customers to your door.
Make sure you’re ready for them — ensure you have enough product, staff, etc. to
serve people well and make a great impression when they arrive! Getting them in the
door is just the start — build a meaningful connection, and those first-time customers will become long-time fans!